In this article, we’ll take a look at eight of the best bowie knife reviews available today, and provide some tips to help you make an informed decision. Whether you’re a seasoned outdoorsman or a newcomer to the world of knives, there’s sure to be a Bowie knife on this list that catches your eye.
Before we dive into our list of the best Bowie knives, let’s take a look at the history behind this iconic blade.
Bowie knives are iconic blades that have been around for nearly two centuries. Originally designed for hunting and self-defense, they’ve since become popular for a wide range of outdoor activities, from camping and hiking to survival and bushcraft. With their distinctive clip point blades, sturdy construction, and timeless style, it’s no wonder that many knife enthusiasts consider a Bowie knife an essential part of their collection. But with so many options on the market, it can be tough to choose the right one.
The Bowie knife was originally named by its creator, James Black for Colonel Jim Bowie of the Texas Volunteer army. The knife gained popularity as Jim whipped it during a dual of what would later be remembered as Sandbar Fight (1827.)
As you’ll notice there can be different variations of what is considered a Bowie Knife, but the main constants have typically defined bowie knives as a fixed blade knife that is at least 9.25” long. Manufacturers have had over 175 years to improve upon the original, and below are what we feel are the best bowie knives on the market. Whether you’re wanting the knife for a hunting tool, or wanting to keep it with you for self-defense, every knife on this list is an excellent choice.
Ka-Bar Becker BK9
This nine-inch beauty of a knife will meet any requirement you put in front of it. It is constructed from durable 1095 Cro-Van steel and features a full tang. The tang allows you to use the knife to smash or otherwise break glass.
The steel is made with chromium to inhibit rust and vanadium to help the knife retain a sharp edge. The knife’s thin edge and deep mid-section allow for a high degree of precision and control in its use.
The BK9 weighs in at about a pound, which puts it in the mid-range of comparable knives. Some people find the Grivory handle to be a bit slippery, but if that is the case you can easily replace it with a Micarta handle.
Ka-Bar Becker BK9
- Made in the USA
- Used by all branches of military and service members
- Great for collectors and outdoor services
- Tested to ensure quality and durability
- Bowie knife with 1095 Cro-Van steel blade
If you are strapped for cash but still want to purchase a serviceable Bowie knife, check out the Timber Rattler Western Outlaw. We love this knife because it’s made of excellent quality, but won’t dig too deep into your pocketbook.
You will get a large stainless steel blade at over 11 inches long, a bladed brass guard, and a grey hardwood wooden handle. The blade has a full tang for rugged, durable performance. A leather case does come with purchase. While it might not be as easy to sharpen as other knives, and the handle might be a bit large for those with small hands, the Western Outlaw will be a solid performer for you in many outdoor tasks.
- One powerful beast of a blade that stands up to harsh use in harsh environments, backing you up time and time again
- It has a keenly sharp steel blade that extends from an aged steel guard
- Package Dimensions: 17″ L x 4.5″ W x 1.5″ H
- Package weight of the Product: 2.4 pounds
Cold Steel Natchez
This knife has one of the longer blades on the market at 11.75 inches, but still only weighs 1.4 pounds. Combine that with a handle almost 6 inches long, and you have one very big knife! You can chop, stab and spear with this Bowie knife.
The Natchez is made of high quality steel and will keep its sharp edge. The Micarta handle grips your palm well, and absorbs sweat quickly. The Natchez also looks sharp, with a leather sheath, stainless steel pommel, and a double guillon.
One possible negative about the Natchez does not have a full tang, which may affect its strength. Instead it has a partial cable tang to insure that the knife does not break.
Cold Steel Natchez
- Made of highest quality material
- Manufacturer: Cold Steel
- Cold Steel natchez bowie 39Labs
This is a very well-balanced knife. The blade is 7.5 inches long and ¼ of an inch thick. The length is not overwhelming but gives you sufficient length to accomplish most tasks. The blade itself looks elegant, but it is tough and dependable.
You can use it for cutting rope and firewood and for personal defense. It is made of AUS 8 stainless steel, and incorporates features from both a Bowie knife and a machete.
The handle is made of Kraton rubber and provides a good grip. At 12.8 ounces, the Creed is a very lightweight knife with good balance. This knife has a full tang, cross guard, and a strong stainless steel pommel. It comes with a stitched and riveted leather case.
- Category name: new products
- Country of origin: taiwan
- Durable leather sheath blade length: 7.5 inches blade length: 7.5 inches
- Maximizes the cutting edge for extreme wilderness and hunting situations
- Straight edge, 7.5-inch AUS-8 steel fixed blade has a clip point shape with a satin finish
If you are looking for a no-frills belly holster, the iiSport Tactical Concealed Belly Band Holster will secure your gun without breaking the bank. This holster comes in both right and left draw and can be worn in a variety of positions on the body.
The holster holds a gun and has two slots for two extra magazines or personal items such as a driver’s license or money. The holster can fit small, medium, and large-sized guns of various manufacturers-up to a Glock 23-and holds well with minimal slippage. This might not be the right holster for larger or smaller individuals, though, as it only fits only between a 31 and a 40-inch waist.
- Handmade by Skilled German Craftsman from Solingen, Germany
- Blade Length: 6.54 Inches, Total Length: 11 Inches, Knife Weight: 7.05 oz.
- Naturally-Dropped Staghorn Antler Scales, Aluminium Bolster with Brass Pins
- Steel / Hardness: 440C / 57-60 HRC Tested and Proofmarked
KA-BAR Fighting Knife
This knife made its name with the Marines in World War II, and is still issued today. Sometimes you need a knife for personal defense, and this meets the bill.
The blade is seven inches of 1095 Cro-Van steel, and will keep its sharpness. You can hone it in the field if need be. The handle is a bit shorter than other knives and covered with leather, which gives it great balance and grip. It is not too heavy at .7 pounds, either.
While this knife made its name with the US Marines, you can also use it while hiking or camping as well. Some have said the sheath does not match the quality of the knife, but this is still a must-have product for the knife collector.
KA-BAR Fighting Knife
- 100% Leather Sheath
- Edge Angles – 20 Degrees
- Overall length 11.875 inches
- The most famous fixed blade knife design in the world
- 1095 Cro-van steel
- Leather Handle, USMC Fightning Knife
Marine Raider Bowie
This is a meat cleaver of a knife. 9.75 inches of 1095 carbon steel and a full tang will cut through wood, rope, weeds, animal skin, and most anything else you might think of. It is a quarter of an inch thick which aids in heavy chopping tasks.
The handle is made of Kraton and grips well-which you want with a big knife like this. The edge is plenty sharp enough for you. It is a heavy knife, coming in at 22.4 ounces, so if you are worried about swinging a blade all day this knife might not be for you. But if you are looking for a powerful blade check out the Spec Plus.
Tech Tac Concealed
- The SP10, Marine Raider Bowie Knife is 15.125-Inch in overall length.
- The 9.75-Inch blade is full tang 1095 Carbon Steel (.250-Inch thick) with an epoxy powder coating
- The SP10 Marine Raider Bowie knife features a comfortable Kraton handle with a secure grip
- The SP10 Marine Raider Bowie Knife comes with a cordura sheath
The Gerber Winchester is an inexpensive knife with some good features for the money. The Winchester’s blade is made of 420J2 stainless steel, which has good corrosion resistance unless you are near the ocean.
The blade is a full tang, and is 8.75 inches long. You get a nylon case, which some users have found to be cheap and not as durable as they would like. All in all, it is a fine choice for those outdoor enthusiasts on a budget.
- Rugged and reliable design in all our products
- Can be used in various military, hunting, survival, tactical, industrial and outdoor situations
- All products are field tested.
In summary, a Bowie knife is a versatile and powerful tool that can be used for a variety of purposes, from outdoor survival to hunting and even self-defense. In this article, we’ve looked at some of the best Bowie knives on the market, taking into account their design, materials, and functionality. Whether you’re a seasoned outdoorsman or a novice adventurer, there’s a Bowie knife out there that will suit your needs and preferences. So, take a closer look at our top picks and choose the one that best matches your style and purpose.
Tips for Choosing the Right Bowie Knife:
- Blade Length and Thickness: Consider the length and thickness of the blade to ensure it meets your needs. Longer blades are suitable for heavy-duty tasks, while shorter blades are ideal for more intricate work.
- Blade Material: Look for a Bowie knife with a blade made of high-quality materials such as carbon steel, stainless steel, or Damascus steel. These materials provide excellent durability, sharpness, and resistance to corrosion.
- Handle Material: Choose a handle made of sturdy materials such as wood, bone, or micarta for a comfortable and secure grip.
- Blade Design: The shape of the blade will determine the knife’s functionality. Look for a Bowie knife with a clip point or drop point blade design for versatility and precision.
- Sheath Quality: A good sheath will protect your knife and make it easy to carry around. Look for a sheath made of high-quality materials such as leather or Kydex.
By considering these factors and selecting a Bowie knife that meets your specific needs, you can enjoy the many benefits of this powerful tool.