We understand that the new modern rugged cooler style is a direct reflection of your personality.
Let’s face it, nobody wants to be the guy that shows up to the tailgate with the leaky Styrofoam cooler from the convenient store.
The new era of outdoor coolers are made to take a beating. So, whether you’re looking for a cooler that you can take on your next paddle boarding trip, an insulated cooler for your deer hunting weekend, or a giant cooler to hold all your cold beer on your weekend camping trip, we’ve hand-picked the best coolers in 2023, and every event in between.
Yeti Tundra 45
The Yeti Tundra 45 is a tremendous cooler for fishing trips and weekend adventures. Its 45 ounce size is perfect for most shorter outdoor adventures.
It holds about 26 cans at the recommended 2:1 ice to content ratio. It measures 17 x 19 x 23 inches, which means it can fit into your kayak yet still give you enough space to store your food or your daily catch. It’s rotomolded construction means that it is bombproof-you can stand and cast all day long on top of the cooler and not harm it one bit.
Have no fear that your food will get cold inside either-the PermaFrost insulation and ColdLock gasket means that your drinks will stay frosty for days.
The hinges and latching system are also top-quality, which sets it apart from many other coolers, where these systems are often the first to fail. You will pay quite a bit for this cooler, but you can rest easy knowing you will get a long-lasting, quality product.
Yeti Tundra 45
- The YETI Tundra 45 combines versatility with durability with a capacity of up to 26 cans with a recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio
- Ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design is certified Bear-Resistant
- The Rotomolded Construction makes the Tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
Camp-Zero 20 Liter premium cooler is the perfect cooler for everyday use when you demand extended cooling performance. The 21 quart premium cooler is the perfect size for picnics, sporting events, camping, fishing, hunting boating or any Ruggedly Cool adventure you take.
The rotomolded construction, aluminum folding handle, textured lid, four molded-in beverage holders and no lose drain plug is the perfect cooler choice.
- Each CAMP-ZERO premium cooler is rotomolded for a sleek yet rugged look. With a hard shell exterior and a secure locking system, this cooler is in it for the long haul. It’s even grizzly certified, which means it’s bear resistant when used with the appropriate locks. Locks not included.
- With an enhanced thick-walled design, this 20 liter cooler keeps beverages, food and ice colder for longer. The interior is equipped with a freezer grade gasket for superior ice retention. Plus, it’s even dry ice compatible!
If your refrigerator fails and you need make sure that your food doesn’t spoil while you get a new one, you might want to check out the Orca 58.
It’s integrated insulation system can keep food at under 40 degrees Fahrenheit for six full days. At 58 quarts, you have plenty of space to hold your meat, eggs, butter, and drinks. The construction of the ORCA, including the walls, lid, and hinges, are all high-quality and durable.
The semi-rigid rubber handle with nylon webbing attachments are comfortable to use, making the ORCA easy to carry. The ORCA is more cube-shaped than many comparable coolers, which means it has a smaller footprint, but is a bit taller.
Some people had issues with how the lid snapped shut, but if you don’t mind that (and can afford the price tag) the ORCA is a great cooler choice. Plus you can customize the color scheme and the latches are shaped like little whale tails!
- Integrated insulation for maximum Ice/cold retention and Freshness of your stowed items for up to 10 days
- This are outdoor-kitchen-accessories
- This is manufactured in United States
- 100% USA Made, Lifetime Warranty
- Lid Gasket to ensure a perfect seal
- Flex Grip Handles for Comfortable Portage
The Grizzly 15 is a smart choice for a personal cooler. Made in the USA out of rotationally molded plastic, these coolers are certified bear resistant. This can come in handy anywhere you might find a bear, but especially out west. The Grizzly is tough and durable with a lifetime warranty.
The ice retention time is over four days long, which is more than adequate for a long weekend trip. It has an oversized drain to pour water out after your ice has melted. The Grizzly has a ruler on top of the lid, which is a feature that fishermen will enjoy.
The latches are of high quality and keep the lid on securely. The only issue with the Grizzly 15 is that the molded handles are a bit small, but that is just a minor blemish.
- If stored in warm places, a significant amount of ice will be wasted cooling the cooler itself. Preload your cooler a few hours prior to use with a sacrificial bag of ice to cool it down.
- Smaller, cubed ice will chill a cooler and the contents more quickly, but block ice melts at a much slower rate. Use a mix of both to chill contents and achieve long-term ice retention.
- The optimum ice-to-drink ratio is 2:1 by volume. Example for every 12 oz can add about 3 cups of ice.
Coleman 50 Quart
The Coleman 50 Quart Xtreme Cooler is one you want when you need to stock up on drinks but also need to move it around by yourself. The telescopic handle and wheels allow you to maneuver the cooler around effectively, although some customers have said that the handle does not allow them to push the cooler as much as they would like.
The Xtreme is plenty big, holding 84 cans in one of four beverage wells. The insulation is good for the money-your drinks will stay cold for a weekend but if you need to keep your fish on ice while out in the backcountry you might want to check out something higher end. The lid is solid enough to support 250 pounds, and it also features four drink holders.
Coleman 50 Quart
- Dimensions: 22.7L x 17.5W x 18.3H in.
- Term O ZONE insulation contains no CFCs, HFCs, or HCFCs
- Choose from the available color options
- Features a long, telescoping handle & wheels
- Xtreme 5 technology, keeps ice up to 5 days
If you’ve just finished reading a blog post about the best coolers and didn’t find the one you had in mind, or if you’re struggling to compare the features of a few on the list, this buyer’s guide is for you. As no two coolers are the same, and with so many options available, selecting the right one can be daunting. Our aim is to help alleviate some of the confusion and make your cooler buying experience a breeze.
Who are Coolers For?
If you’re reading this article, you’re likely an outdoor enthusiast, camper, or someone who enjoys spending time outdoors. Coolers are essential for keeping your drinks and food cold during your adventures, whether it’s a day trip or a week-long camping trip. The right cooler can make all the difference in keeping your perishables fresh and drinks cold.
Features to Consider
When selecting a cooler, there are many features to consider beyond “will it keep my drinks cold?” This tool will be with you throughout your trip, so you want to choose a cooler that meets your needs and becomes a reliable companion.
Size and Capacity
The first thing to consider when selecting a cooler is size and capacity. Coolers come in various sizes, from small personal coolers to large family-sized ones. You’ll want to consider how many people you’re traveling with and how long your trip will be to determine the right size for you. A general rule of thumb is to select a cooler with a capacity of one quart per person per day for a multi-day trip.
The insulation of a cooler is another critical factor to consider. The better the insulation, the longer your food and drinks will stay cold. High-end coolers have thick insulation walls, while cheaper models may have thinner walls. You’ll also want to consider the type of insulation used, such as foam or vacuum insulation.
Portability is also an essential factor to consider, especially if you’ll be carrying your cooler over long distances or rough terrain. Look for a cooler with comfortable handles or straps that are easy to carry. Wheels can also make it easier to move your cooler around.
Durability is another crucial factor to consider, particularly if you’ll be using your cooler frequently or subjecting it to rough conditions. Look for coolers made with sturdy materials that can withstand wear and tear, such as roto-molded plastic or heavy-duty fabric.
Some additional features to consider include:
- Drainage: Look for a cooler with a drain plug for easy cleaning and draining of melted ice.
- Accessories: Some coolers come with built-in cup holders, bottle openers, or even built-in speakers for added convenience and fun.
- Price: Finally, consider the price of the cooler. While high-end models can be expensive, they often come with better features and longer-lasting durability. However, there are also budget-friendly options available that can meet your needs.
Selecting the right cooler for your needs can make all the difference in keeping your food and drinks fresh and cold during your outdoor adventures. Consider the features mentioned above to ensure you find the perfect cooler for you.